Friday, January 20, 2012

No Way Out

I shivered with fear. I had lost any light that may have slipped through the crack in the walls that were in this terrible nightmare. I had nothing to guide me through this.... I didn't have the courage. I heard the shattering roar of the beast as it picked up my scent. Blindly I ran, tripping over my own two feet every few seconds. My feet pounded against the sharp metal lining the path into my ripped shoes. I heard the terrifying screams from my last friend still running. It had to be a dream. And in dreams I could wake up.
I stopped for two seconds to catch my breath in the humid air when something grabbed hold of my scrawny ankle. I let out a horrified scream as a blood covered hand covered my face.
I stopped as a I realized it was only Eme. She started whispering, fear clearly evident on her face. " I...ttt left the other.. the other way".
I saw her face and dark red liquid dripped down her already pale face. Her blond, silky hair was dirty and pulled out in places, as though she had been pulled by it.
Breathing heavily I laid down on the metal wall behind me, listening to the growls rebound off the wall. I must of fallen asleep because now I saw lights of all colors all around me. Eme was slumped over my feet, and I moved my pained feet from underneath her.
I crept away, listening to my footsteps bounce of the walls. I looked back and saw her dead looking body. I wanted out. It was wrong that I was leaving her but I needed out.
 As I started down the multi-colored tunnel, red eyes emerged in the distance. My heart beat loudly and I felt as though it could hear it. I started walking backwards and I lost my balance and toppled over, and I quickly scurried to my feet when the beast came into view. He leaped through the air, paws engraved into the shining metal. I tried to grab at his fur but his claws beat me with a swipe to my already bloody face.
 I felt more blood seep down my face and drip into my mouth. I lied there as the beast moved in, thinking I was dead. Suddenly a tight grip was felt on my arm, and I looked up to see Eme starring at me. She was covered in more blood than me and I could tell not all of it was hers, I noticed that I was never attacked but I had dreamed it.
She helped me up and pointed towards another tunnel, where the were no growls or hisses, and we ran until I saw a huge grate. I walked up and screamed. I banged my head against it creating a gash on my head. Eme screamed my name, telling me to stop. Jessica would stop but not now... Not with what she knew now.  Because there was no way out, we were left to die.

1 comment: